Friday, April 28, 2006

 

Dodging a Bullet

I checked my tennis tournament's webpage this morning, and found out my first-round opponent had withdrawn. This saved a great deal of wear and tear on my aging, flabby body, which would come in handy later.

I arrived for my 6:00 match at 4:30, with a jug of Gatorade and a candy bar. I was loaded for bear. The skies were low and threatening, and the wind howled. My opponent had also arrived early, and we were happy to start our match early. He was an ex-Marine; older than me, but extremely fit. Fortunately, his racket skills were no match for mine, and I know all there is to know about playing in the wind. I won 6-2, 6-1 in about an hour. There was some bad news: my back hurt, bad, from late in the first set on. Some days are just worse than others, and hopefully it won't be as big a problem tomorrow, when I have to win twice to make the final.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?