Saturday, September 08, 2007

 

2007 NFL Week 1 Picks

Well, the time has come to crank up my quixotic attempt to beat the house at NFL betting. I finished the last regular season barely above water, and promptly crashed and burned in the playoffs. As always, you are a complete fool if you bet actual, hard-earned money on my recommendations. I have four picks for Sunday; if they do well, I MAY add more for the Monday doubleheader.

Houston -3 vs Kansas City: The Texans have a new quarterback and new weapons at his disposal. The Chiefs are one Larry Johnson injury away from being the worst team in the league. After setting a record for carries last season and sitting out of training camp in a contract dispute, I wouldn't place too much faith in LJ, this week or long-term.

Tennessee +7 at Jacksonville: The Jaguars are the better team, and playing at home. But seven points is too much to be laying in what I feel will be a low-scoring game. I would be tempted to take Vince Young and seven against anybody.

Detroit +2.5 at Oakland: I don't think the Raiders are as bad as they were last year. Hell, I don't think Baghdad is as bad as the Raiders were last year. Instead, this pick is about Lions Head Coach/Mad Scientist Mike Martz. I have an uneasy feeling that he now has all the pieces he needs for world offensive domination. They're not going to win the Super Bowl--their defense stinks on ice. But they are going to outscore some people, starting with the Raiders.

Pittsburgh -4.5 at Cleveland: The Browns are another team that is starting to turn the corner, but they won't be a serious threat until Coach Romeo Crennel realizes Brady Quinn is his best quarterback, and plays him.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?